Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The year is 1965


Do you remember your first love or crush as a kid coming into adulthood? I do. That's what Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom is all about.


It may be easy to criticize Anderson for continuing to make the same stylistic choices over and over again until it's become stereotypical, but I appreciate the continuity. 


If he didn't make a movie with precise costumes, sweeping zooms, and that indescribable soundtrack, I'd be a little disappointed.

 

Moonrise Kingdom is like an old dollhouse in your grandmother's attic, and Anderson is still playing with the figurines, setting them up in epic ways.


I also fell a little bit in love with the character of Sam.


Some critics have compared it to Saving Private Ryan and Full Metal Jacket.



Did you see Moonrise Kingdom? What did you think of it?

2 comments :

Hila said...

I still haven't seen this, and I keep meaning to. This post reminded me about it actually, thanks.

Avalonne Hall said...

Hey! Sorry I've been MIA! I just looked through your old posts. I just watched Moonrise Kingdom on Friday! I was super happy with it and it's such a good feeling, since I'm hyper critical when it comes to movies and directors who always seem to do the same thing over and over again. I have a newfound respect for Wes! :)