Thursday, June 18, 2009

I wanna be a Gibson girl



First of all, what is a Gibson Girl?, you might ask...

Definition:
The Gibson Girl was the personification of a feminine ideal as portrayed in the satirical pen and ink illustrated stories created by illustrator Charles Dana Gibson during a twenty year period spanning the late nineteenth and early twentieth century in the United States.



So, that said, I just realized recently that the Gibson Girls of old are kinda hot! I love their flouncy up-dos, clothing cut to accentuate feminine curves, and pretty I could care less pouts.

I'm very much inspired by this sense of style, and I think I'm ready to embrace it.


(Evelyn Nesbit)



I feel like a modern take on "the Gibson Girl" can be seen in Garance Dore's illustrations...




Model from Lula Magazine.


Such Gibson Girl face. [photo credit]


On the runway

1 comment :

Julianna said...

I want to be one too! You should have a Gibson girl party! Julie just got the book Brinkley Girls (pub. Fantagraphics) you would love it and die and go to heaven!