Thursday, July 23, 2009

Top 10 Movie Musicals

Do you know how hard it was to whittle down my top 10 favorite movie musicals?
REALLY hard...


Kind of cliche to put on my list, but there was a period (approx. year 12) in my life when I ate, slept, and breathed Grease. So I must honor that.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is so politically incorrect now, that it's laughable. But there are great dance numbers in it.

Maaaarion, madame libraaaarian. Adore The Music Man.

Funny Girl. Babs deserves 10 Oscars for this piece of work.

If you haven't seen The Sound of Music, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?

Moulin Rouge is such an amazing modern musical... Vivid, magical, and tragic.

I just about died and went to heaven when I saw Chicago. Completely blown away by it's creme-de-la-cremeness.

Even though it's technically a tv musical, Peter Pan has gorgeous EVERYTHING: set, choreography, music, lead... Can't forget it.

Hello, Dolly! is probably my second favorite. I grew up watching it and then I got to be in my jr. high's production of it!

My number one favorite is Meet Me in St. Louis. It holds a lot of sentimental value for me. Judy Garland is in her prime. Vincent Minneli directs. Glorious cast. Well-roundedly perfect.

10 comments :

Weisman said...

Oh my gosh. You have Seven Brides on here, AND Meet Me in St. Louis is your number one??

We definitely should have talked about this last weekend.

Allie said...

Oh, blast. Well, we better just watch them together sometime!

Mom (a- mia) said...

What about Oklahoma? I bet you know which ones that are on your list wouldn't be on my list.

Allie said...

Oklahoma is number 11. I love it a lot. And yes, I know what musicals WOULDN'T be on your list. Have you ever actually seen Moulin Rouge?

Mom (a- mia) said...

Just bits and pieces....bleh,bleh.
What about South Pacific?
"Some enchanted evening...."

Maryann said...

This post makes me want to ditch work and stay home watching musicals ALL DAY.

Allie said...

Maryann, I felt kind of timid posting this because your musical-related posts are so extensive! I'm just intimidated by your mad skillz.

K said...

No Singing in the Rain? Or Grease 2? :)

Allie said...

You know, I love "Singin' in the Rain." But I really hate that they have Debbie Reynolds lip sync that one ballad at the end. It's so contrary to what the movie's about!

Lovely White Things said...

GOD Open A Window!!!

Also, I love The Music Man & I'm glad you chose Peter Pan! Good times!